Monday, February 07, 2005

Reader's anxiety

Yesterday, while wandering around in Barnes and Noble, I felt an old, familiar feeling I like to call "reader's anxiety." It is the feeling a book-lover gets while walking around a bookstore as she finds book after book that she must read, and her adrenaline starts rushing and turning into anxiety in light of the fact that the upcoming month is very busy and leaves very little time to tackle her literary finds. The phrase "so many books, so little time" comes to mind.

Here's a list of what caught my eye:

Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human by Harold Bloom

How to Read and Why by Harold Bloom

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

The books were piling up in my mind on an imaginary nightstand, and I was condemning myself to stare at them for weeks without being able to read them, so I grabbed the magazine "Bookmarks" and sat down to read it until we left.

I did manage to leave the store with one book: The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. This I will read for my newly formed book club that consists of my sweet husband and myself. I have always wanted to be part of a book club, but could neither find one nor find someone who wanted to start one. Until yesterday, when out of the blue, my honey suggests that we start one-just the two of us. One major perk in this book club is that I get to pick the books. Another one is the guy I will be meeting with is quite handsome!

To my fellow readers: I wish you loads of free time to sit and read all of the books that beckon to you this month!

Happy reading!