Thursday, March 24, 2005

Going back to Greece


Last night I managed to erase all the pictures off my blog-the ENTIRE blog! I don't know how I did it, except that it had something to do with "tabs". So, I consulted my resident computer whiz, my 14-year old daughter, Emily, and she fixed it for me. You know, sometimes I don't even know why I bother with the computer because if it involves anything more than the "Start"menu or the "My Computer" menu, I am lost!

Speaking of things I need to learn more about...

Classical Greece is a fascinating place and time period, and I have decided to start studying it-again! About a year ago, I began with a textbook and moved onto some plays and a bit of the philosophy, but due to busyness, I set my study aside and never picked it up again. Well, I dug out my materials again, so I am all set. I even found my copy of Plato's Republic that I started reading and never finished.

My favorite aspect of the Classical Greeks is that they were innovative. They were pioneers in almost every area: philosophy, government, drama, art, science, mathematics and architecture. In their culture, people were encouraged to THINK, not just to regurgitate the ideas of other people, but to use their mental muscle to evaluate ideas and to be creative. This marks them as the first modern culture. Because of their willingness to think beyond the boundaries, their culture has impacted the world, even to the present day.