Thursday, May 19, 2005

Books, books, books!


I have a habit of reading more than one book at a time, mostly because I need some lighter reading to help me wash down the non-fiction books I read. I love to learn about new topics, but I tend to find non-fiction a little dry, and besides, I just love a good story! This is what I am reading:

Read #1: Confessions by Saint Augustine
I love his questioning nature and I can identify with his inner struggle but it is just not a "gotta-find-out-what's-gonna-happen-next" type of book. Because I am crawling through this one, it is going to be a while before I finish.

Read #2: Age of Opportunity by Paul Tripp
So far this is an excellent book on parenting teenagers. I have been convicted and challenged to parent, not for convenience, but to view the situations that come up each day as opportunities to get to know my kids better and to help them along life's road. Highly recommended!

Read #3: I am a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson
This is my fun book. It is a collection of essays loaded with observations on American life. Last night after my husband fell asleep, I had to come downstairs to read because I was afraid my chuckling would wake him up! Here is a sample:

"I came across something in our bathroom the other day that has occupied my thoughts off and on ever since. It was a little dispenser of dental floss.

It isn't the floss itself that is of interest to me but that the container has a toll-free number printed on it. You can call the company's Floss Hotline twenty-four hours a day. But there is the question: Why would you need to? I keep imagining some guy calling up and saying in an anxious voice, "OK, I've got the floss. Now what?"


As a rule of thumb, I would submit that if you need to call your floss provider, for any reason, you are probably not ready for this level of oral hygiene."


Mr Bryson's comments on our consumer, convenience and entertainment-oriented society are hilarious but true. I love an author who can take the everyday events of life and turn them into something funny!


What are you reading?