Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Time and money comments


Thanks for all the comments about managing time and money. I wanted to post them because I think that we learn the most by sharing ideas!

Kim said: I think the only real way to learn to redeem our time is to do what you've already alluded to in your post: know our calling. Too often, we are led to believe that a busy life is the sign of a life dedicated to God, when in reality, it can be a very bad road to follow. I have been through something like this. About four years ago, I was never busier, and never more miserable, so stressed, and I was no closer to God. Through prayer and understanding exactly what my vocation is helped me a lot.

Sparrow said:Eating healthier foods is an investment: long-term health and short-term. We notice less sickness on a healthier diet, and avoiding hormones and pesticides will benefit our bodies long-term. Not to mention heart health, etc.

Healthy food being expensive is a common complaint. Part of it, I think is our skewed portion sizes (eat less!), we are unaccustomed to being satisfied with an apple for a snack.

The milk is expensive: no way around that. Fresh foods can be bought seasonally however, at a good price. Last week I bought a flat of beautiful strawberries for $3.88. A large bag of Doritos costs $3.98. We ate bowlfuls of strawberries for a couple of days.

I watch for sales and pay attention to what is in season. During the summer I freeze fresh produce for use in the more "boring" winter months.

Lots of good thoughts out there!

You and I are on the same wavelength! I'm working up a post in my mind for this week on this subject. (check out her blog for this post!)

Jules said:
I agree that our grocery bill is the one place where I could save more if I tried harder.
I just recently tried having a menu planned and it has worked well. I planned out 21 meals (three weeks worth) that I know the kids will eat and then I rotate them.

I also agree that when you try to buy good, healthy stuff, (100%juice, whole wheat whatevers, fresh fruit for snacks) it gets quite expensive but I do not want to compromise on that stuff. That's where my problem is. I will spend almost $1 more on a gallon of milk because it is BGH free. I just have to learn to cut back in other areas to make up for what we spend on food. Hmmm.... maybe I could read the paper by candlelight and heat our water on the stove! at our grocery bill is the one place where I could save more if I tried harder.
I just recently tried having a menu planned and it has worked well. I planned out 21 meals (three weeks worth) that I know the kids will eat and then I rotate them.

I also agree that when you try to buy good, healthy stuff, (100%juice, whole wheat whatevers, fresh fruit for snacks) it gets quite expensive but I do not want to compromise on that stuff. That's where my problem is. I will spend almost $1 more on a gallon of milk because it is BGH free. I just have to learn to cut back in other areas to make up for what we spend on food. Hmmm.... maybe I could read the paper by candlelight and heat our water on the stove! (I agree, Jules! I try to keep buying healthy and at the same time keep the cost down, but it is tough. Good, healthy food costs more.)

Lea said: It's great to find a kindred spirit... we have lived this way for years and it has been well worth it.

Kathy said: You've hit upon one of my favorite subjects!

A few minor ways we cut back...

Pouch drinks are rarely purchased unless needed for travel convenience. Instead, we always purchase juice by the gallon. Also, no soda (I know it's not expensive but just too habit forming!)

We never buy individual sized packets of treats. Instead, we use baggies for traveling treats such as pretzels and crackers.

Having an extra freezer really helps. When chicken is on sale, I "feed" the freezer.

We found Aldi's to have great deals. If you have one in your area, check it out.

At least twice a month, we have breakfast for dinner. The kids love it. Pancakes with fruit on the side.

I use the 40-50% off AC Moore and Michael's coupons religiously. Joanne's fabric store also sends these if you're on the mailing list. Our AC Moore and Michael's accepts one another's coupons.

We got rid of our long distance phone carrier and use Sam's calling cards.

Looking at my kids, you'd never know that probably 25 - 50% of their clothing comes from thrift shops. Huge savings.

Almost weekly, I make homemade pizza. It's delicious and healthier as I add whole wheat flour to the mix. I buy a large bag of cheeze at Sam's then freeze it in smaller baggies.

Can't wait to read how others are cutting back!

Gina said: We shop at Sam's club- once a week. Maybe if we can get it down to once a month we'd save money!

Kimberly said: My dad is an envelope person. He puts cash into his envelopes and I think "You'd make interest if it was in the bank."

But it works for him!

Part of me would like to be "Frugal", Brian won't. He doesn't spend too much on anything and we do a good job staying within our means, but he doesn't like 'Frugal to save a little more.' Some problesm we have: Ki's sensitive to certain foods and preservatives. Though name brands and store brands have the same ingredients, store brands often use more preservatives in the packaging. Ki has to have Name Brand foods or he gets bad hives. (grumble::Grumble)- Aldi's is usually out for us.

Plus, though I want to save money, I also want to be healthier and more natural- we buy organic milk and unbleached flour. I haven't seen those at Aldi's. And it costs more in gas just to go to Aldis for eggs and sugar, I bet.

We don't even do much juice. mostly just water. And again, when we do buy juice, I will only buy the 100% juice- which is more expensive.

So for us, saving money is a condunrum. (Is that the word?) Like paying less by buying LESS juice, but the juice we buy costs more,LOL.

Jody said: I am trying to make my husband a bit more frugal. He, too, is self employer (computer software developer). Thankfully he is willing to have me work out a budget and he promises to try to stick to it.
I do make our menus; but I do it more so I know what we have available and I can easily figure out what to make for dinner
Thanks ladies, you have encouraged me!