Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I can't get it out of my head!

Thanks to Laney, "Rock You Like a Hurricane" by The Scorpions has been swimming around in my head ALL DAY LONG! I even performed the song for my kiddos between math and science lessons and, believe me, they loved it and repeatedly told me what a cool mom I am!

I was reading through my new issue of Mental Floss magazine and I found that there is an name for that song stuck in your brain:

"Believe it or not, there's actually a word for the song-stuck-in-your-head phenomenon. It's called an earworm. A 2003 study conducted by a professor at the University of Cincinnati found that "It's a Small World After All" and the theme from "Gilligan's Island" were among the earwormiest songs on the planet."
I am not sure what is weirder (is that a word?), a name for the phenomenon or a magazine that writes about it!?!

Getting songs stuck in my head is a regular occurrence for me. Sometimes I pick up what someone else is humming or a phrase may remind me of a song or I read the title of the song on someone's blog. However it happens, the song inevitably plagues me throughout the day, playing over and over and over again. Some of my regular tunes are:
Edelweiss (The Sound of Music)
Cruel Summer (Bananarama)
Another One Rides the Bus (Weird Al)
Play That Funky Music White Boy (some disco song from the 70's!)

You probably never knew that I had such an amazing music repertoire in my head!

Laney, thanks again for the earworm!

Happy humming!