Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Twenty-seven days to go...


Twenty-seven days to go...

Until we start school, that is. We have purchased our school supplies: 100 pencils, 50 70-sheet notebooks, 10 bottles of glue, 20 glue sticks, 3 pairs of scissors, 2 rulers and, among other things, my daily planner. I love the newness of it all!

Also on the list of school supplies were crayons. When my girls were younger they had an almost reverent respect for new crayons, I think most young girls do. The patient opening of the box, the savoring of the smell, the carefully selected first-picture to color and the artistic sorting of the crayons into their respective brown boxes, like a rainbow you can hold in your hand.

My boys, on the other hand, don't get it! My son opened his box by tearing off the lid and then asking how to use the sharpener. He then proceeded to ask if he could pour them into a Ziploc bag. After taking a few deep, cleansing breaths in an effort to calm down after his blatant disregard for proper new-crayon care, I asked, "Are you crazy? This is a new box of crayons we're talking about!" His response was a quizzical, "What did I do?"

What he did was once again make me wonder if I am truly cut out to be the mother of boys; girls are so much easier to understand, at least in their relationship to crayons. Ah well, apparently God thinks I am up for the task!

So, twenty-seven days to go until school starts. When I realize that means getting up early again and sticking closer to my schedule, I begin to wonder if we should make it thirty-four days or even forty-one! I had better sign off and go outside to play with my kiddos before it becomes twenty-six days or thirty-three or forty...

Enjoy your day!