Tuesday, September 13, 2005

He's coming!

Christo, that's who! Yes, right here in our little Colorado town, Christo and his wife, Jeanne-Claude, are coming to cover our beautiful Arkansas River with FABRIC. The project will be called "Over the River". Here is what he recently did in New York:

Now, I am going to be honest here and say that this is the most ridiculous form of art I have ever seen! Personally, I liked this version because at least you could eat it:


Anyway, back to Christo's plan to blanket our river with fabric. Here is what "his people" have to say about the whole thing:

"Wide clearance between the banks and the edges of the fabric panels will create a play of contrast allowing sunlight to illuminate the river on both sides. When seen from underneath, standing on the rocks at the edge of the river, at water level or by rafting, the luminous and translucent fabric will highlight the contours of the clouds, the mountains and the vegetation."

Hmm... just doesn't convince me! Here is a picture of the proposed project:

I don't know if you can tell, but there is a raft floating on the water underneath the fabric canopy. Just doesn't sound as fun to go river rafting under a blanket as it does in the, well, sunshine!

I am curious what your opinion is about this form of art. Maybe I don't have the "eye" to visualize what Christo is trying to portray through this medium, but I honestly have to say that I JUST DON'T GET IT!