Friday, October 07, 2005

Apple season...




A friend and I canned apple pie filling yesterday. It was a perfect day: 60 degrees outside, leaves falling from the trees and the kids bundled up in sweaters.

This is probably the easiest thing I have ever canned and I think it will taste wonderful. I almost never make apple pie because making the crust AND the filling is just too time consuming, so now I can make a crust, open a jar and bake!

Fall is definitely in the air. We are expecting a freeze tonight so we will have to pick the rest of our garden which consists of a cantaloupe and a couple of poblano chilies. In a couple of weeks the leaves will be gone, blown away until next spring. I guess it is time to enjoy the last of the season's beauty and warmth and then settle in for the winter.

Enjoy your weekend, ladies!
________________________________________
Here is the recipe for the apple pie filling (I used the recipe from Mary Jane's Ideabook-Cookbook-Lifebook, but I made a few changes).

18 pounds red-skinned cooking apples (I used Jonathon)
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
10 cups water
3 TB. lemon juice

You will need 7 quart-sized canning jars with lids and rings. Also, click here if you need to know about canning safety.

Wash apples, the peel, core and slice. Place apples in a large bowl with some lemon juice (about 2 TB. per 5 cups of water) to avoid browning.

In a large pot, combine sugar, starch, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for approximately 15 minutes or until thick and caramel colored. (I found that once the mixture starts boiling, it only takes a couple minutes for it to be ready). Remove from heat and stir in 3 TB. lemon juice.

Ladle apples into sterilized jars (I found that you have to pack them in firmly-leaving about 1/2 inch headspace). Ladle the hot liquid over the apples to within 1/2 inch of the jar top. (Use a knife to make room for the liquid if needed). Process quarts for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Makes 7 quart jars.

Again, this was easy and rather fast compared to other things I have canned, and the sauce mixture tastes great so I am assuming this will make a great pie!