Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Cultivating new things...


CULTIVATE:1 : to prepare or prepare and use for the raising of crops; also : to loosen or break up the soil about (growing plants) 2a: to foster the growth of

Often, when we want something to change or grow in our lives we do a lot of wishing and hoping, wishing and hoping. Unfortunately, this does not change anything--ever! Change and growth are always brought on through action. Like a gardener who diligently cultivates his garden, we need to diligently cultivate the actions and attitudes that cause growth in the areas we desire to see change in.

I took five minutes to write a list of the things I would like to see grow in my life. Here is my list:

1. A more intimate relationship with my hubby
2. A closer, more consistent walk with God
3. A better house-cleaning schedule
4. More relaxed homeschooling atmosphere
5. Closer friendships
6. Less contention between my boys
7. Better use of time--more of God's plan and less of my own
8. A better eye for fabric/color combinations
9. More discussion time with my kids
10. Be a better helper to my hubby--be more tender towards his needs
11. Help Aubry be less whiney/clingy
12. Be more focused on the people that I love and less on me
13. More knowledgeable use of my camera--move beyond "flower-focus"
14. Thankful, joy, peace, focus on good things, positive/hopeful outlook on life

Each item on my list is a possibility, but each one requires action on my part. Some items are easier to act on than others because feelings and emotions can be difficult to overcome in some areas but, with God's help, the strength to act is available.

Cultivating a garden is hard work, but the yield of blessings at harvestime is well worth the effort!
Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the Lord, til He comes and rains righteousness on you.
--Hosea 10:12
What are you cultivating today?