Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Ironing Board Cover Tutorial

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I am going to be very upfront and say that I really dislike ironing clothes! The only time I enjoy ironing is if I have a pile of freshly-washed fabrics waiting for my attention. My opinion is that if you absolutely have to iron, you might as well do it on a pretty ironing board cover and, lucky for you, they are very easy to make!

First, lay your fabric out on the floor and place your ironing board on it upside-down. Cut your fabric 3-1/2 inches bigger than the board:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Now, iron, pin and then sew a one inch casing around the cover, leaving a 2-inch opening:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Now you will need some ribbon or cord to thread through the casing (measure around the ironing board and add about one foot to get the right measurement for your cord):
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Once you have threaded your cord or ribbon through the casing, tie the cover securely to the ironing board--you will want to tie this into a knot.

Now, you may actually look forward to ironing! ;)

***My ironing board has a pad attached to it so I just kept that under the new cover. If you don't have a pad you could just sew some batting underneath your fabric. I would use Warm and Natural and I would cut it the same size as the board (no need to make it 3 inches bigger) and sew it in place prior to sewing your casing on the cover.