Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My Book Pile


I realize it has been a long time since I posted a reading list! Since I spend a lot more time crafting these days, my reading time is cut shorter leading to less books being read, leading to less to say about books. I am trying to rearrange my schedule so that I can fit in at least an hour of reading a day which is less than I would like but better than nothing.

Right now I am reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Mr. Bryson wrote this book after hiking the entire Appalachian Trail in 1996. The author has an incredible talent for finding humor in the basic things of life and, so far, this book showcases that talent wonderfully. Another book by him that is worth reading is I'm a Stranger Here Myself.

Next on my list is Joy in the Morning by P.G. Wodehouse. I initially discovered Wodehouse through Circle of Quiet's recommendation and I have become an adoring fan. What I enjoy most about these stories is the author's ability to tell the story through a particular character (Bertie Wooster) and yet reveal Bertie's lack of common sense so thoroughly. It takes writing talent to do this and Wodehouse has got it!

Each morning I am reading a chapter of Battlefield of the Mind and Discipline: The Glad Surrender. The first book is a re-read that I am doing together with a friend. As with the first read through, I am being reminded of the importance of taking my thoughts captive at all times. The second book, by Elisabeth Elliot, is thought-provoking and challenging me to take my walk with God to a higher level of commitment--this is what Mrs. Elliot does best.

Next on the list:

The Memory Keeper's Daughter (on hold at the library)
Freedom to Choose (to be put on hold at the library)

What are you reading?