Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Where can I buy a couple of extra hours?

A month ago we started back to school simply to escape the boredom of the long summer days. My boys were unable to fill the hours in their days and I was weary of trying to do it for them. The schedule and structure of our school days fit me like a comfortable coat on a windy day, but I find myself struggling for the time to do all of the things I want to do. Writing, reading, sewing and taking pictures are all getting my halfway attention and I find myself scrambling to do a good job at any of them. Closing my eyes, I can see a day when I will be able to sit down and write an article and work it over until I produce something well-written and worthwhile, unlike today when scribbling down a few lines and calling it good must suffice. I am fully aware that a great deal of my problem stems from having too many hobbies, but I can't figure out which one should fall by the wayside.

Don't get me wrong. I love my husband and kids and making them my priority is not going to change--ever. But I do struggle with, "What if I never have time for...?", "When will I be able to...?" and, quite honestly, "What about me?"

I know that this is a common theme among women and I am wondering how do you do it? Do you take the time to pursue your interests? If so, how and when and to what extent?

Please share your thoughts. I am curious and looking for answers!