Thursday, October 26, 2006

Book Stuff


Recently I finished reading A Patchwork Planet by Anne Tyler. This book is about a 30 year-old man named Barnaby who is struggling to walk away from his past mistakes, while the people around him seem bent on reminding him of his failures. As in real-life, Barnaby's decision to move forward is easier than the action of moving forward.

My favorite aspect of Ms. Tyler's books are her characters. She has the ability to create, with words, a person who seems to rise off the page and breathe, some-one true to life, someone I can identify with.

Not only do I recommend A Patchwork Planet, but also Breathing Lessons (which won Ms. Tyler a Pulitzer Prize) and Digging to America. Lucky for me, she a long list of other titles to choose from too!

My next book is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. What are you reading?