Sunday, September 03, 2006

Apple pickin' time!

***Updated with recipe below! ;)
I can't believe that it is apple-picking time already! On Friday we spent the morning at an orchard with friends and somehow by the time we reached the cash-register we had picked a total of 11 pounds! I had meant to buy only a bag-full but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention!

I kept my promise and nothing ended up in a canning jar, but Emily did make a crumb-topped apple pie that was WONDEFUL! With all the apples in the kitchen I think that some pumpkin-apple muffins are in order as well!


Pumpkin-Apple Muffins
2-1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin ( I used canned)
1/2 cup oil
2 cups grated apples (peeled)

Mix all dry ingredients. Mix all wet ingredients. Mix all of them together, blend well. The batter will be thick. Put batter in muffin pans, greased well (this recipe makes 18 muffins). Sprinkle with streusel topping and bake for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Streusel Topping
2 TB. flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 tsp. butter (1-1/3 TB.)

Combine all ingredients until well blended.

These muffins are family favorite and they do not last long! Enjoy!