Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Bulletin Board Tutorial

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I was just about to throw away an old bulletin board when my daughter suggested that I paint it and cover it with fabric so that I could hang it in my craft room. I can use this to display fabric samples and craft ideas that I would like to try in the future. (This project uses fabric but there is no sewing involved!)

First, tape off the edges of the board and then paint them the desired color using acrylic paint (you can buy this in the craft section at Walmart for about $1.00). I painted my edges white:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Next, cut a piece of thin batting or fleece(I used an old fleece baby blanket) the same size as the bulletin board and staple or hot-glue it to the board. Then cut a piece of fabric 1/2 inch bigger than your board, iron the extra 1/2 inch under and then hot-glue this to the board over the fleece:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Using 1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon I made a lattice pattern. I hot-glued only the ends to the board:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Using tacks, tack down each every place where your ribbon criss-crosses (Sorry for the blurry picture!):
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Now you are ready to hang your bulletin board on the wall and use it for craft ideas, notes to your family or even your honey-do list! Wouldn't your husband love that?