Thursday, January 13, 2005

Commas, commas, commas

Since the purchase of an elliptical cycle a couple of months ago, I have made an important discovery: exercise done at 6:30 in the morning is boring. "No kidding," you say. Well, I seriously had no idea I would be compelled to look at my timer approximately every 14 seconds during the course of my work-out. And believe me, 20 minutes broken down into 14 second intervals is a long, boring time.

Well, this morning I tried something new. Books on tape. Being the book-lover that I am, I can't believe it has taken me this long to view this 20 minutes in the pre-dawn hours as another potential opportunity to squeeze more reading time into my day. Better late than never, as they say.

My book selection for this morning was Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. Basically, it is an amusing look at the serious subject of grammar. Grammar was not one of my favorite subjects in school and, unfortunately, as a homeschool mom, I don't find great enjoyment in teaching it to my kids, either. As you might be able to tell from my writing, I am a big fan of commas. I like to use them in abundance. Tons of these adorable, little black swishes separate my words. In my mind,they add meaning and dimension to my sentences, but to the reader, I am sure they add only confusion.

An ABEKA 10th grade grammar book rests on my bookshelf, ready for my use whenever I find the extra time. (I don't think I need to tell you how often I use my extra time to polish up my grammar skills!) Maybe Ms. Truss' book will be just the motivation I need to get started. Hmmm....or maybe it won't.