Thursday, February 03, 2005

Library love

What is it about a library that makes me feel content and happy? Row upon row of mismatched books, waiting to be taken home and read and loved. And all of it for free!

As a kid, Little House on the Prairie, James and the Giant Peach, and The Phantom Tollbooth were like tickets to another world. Today, The Poisonwood Bible, 1984 and A Midsummer Night's Dream have all taken me to a place not my own. A place I may never visit in the flesh, but a place I have been in my spirit.

My kids love the library, too; we go every Wednesday. Last week upon leaving home for the library, my daughter announced,

"I am not getting any books this week because I already have too many to read."

But sure enough, when we were getting ready to leave the library, I found her at the check-out counter with a pile of seven books in hand.

"So, I thought you weren't getting any books today," I said with a smirk on my face.

"Well," she said, "They all just looked so good, I had to get them."

Aaah, like mother, like daughter. A book is like a friend you have all to yourself for a period of time, a friend who becomes yours forever.





"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
-Jorge Luis Borges




Happy reading!!!