Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Soccer in the snow


My 14 year-old daughter made the dress she is wearing in this picture. It is her third dress based on the Lord of the Rings movies, and she is now working on a Renaissance-style dress complete with a bum-roll. She is a talented girl, that daughter of mine!

On a different note:

Yesterday, while the grass was blanketed in white and the air was a crisp 40 degrees in the sunshine, I stood and watched my son at his first soccer practice of the season. Most of the kids wore weather-appropriate gear like pants and sweatshirts, but two kids had shorts and t-shirts on. This is the type of thing only a kid enjoys.

Most of the parents were tucked in their cars, heaters blazing, listening to the radio and being comfortable like sensible people. This is one of the many things I like about being an adult, the freedom be comfortable. I no longer need to engage in situations that require discomfort just for the sake of fun or being part of the crowd. So until the weather changes, you can find me cozied up in the front seat of my van with the heater blasting, while I watch my son play soccer in the snow!