Thursday, March 03, 2005

Walking

"We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."
-Ephesians 2:10

At 6:29 this morning, I was sitting on my couch with scarf, gloves and jacket by my side, dreading the ring of my phone. This is the first day this year my neighbor Phyllis and I are planning to walk together. We do this one day a week, throughout spring and summer, in an effort to stay skinny and healthy! This morning, I was hunting for any excuse: rain, snow, anything to stay inside and be comfortable, but promptly at 6:30, the telephone demanded that I head outside to greet my walking partner.

Phyllis is 20 years older than me and our lives are very dissimilar, but her encouragement and listening ear are what binds me to her as a friend. Five years ago, she started focusing full-time on her artwork and during that period of time, she has become fairly successful, enabling her husband to quit his job and become her manager. What I never knew about Phyllis is that she didn't get serious about painting until her mid-40's, and even then she questioned whether or not she could ever make a living doing it.

Over the last couple of years, my desire to write has grown to a point that I just can't ignore. I wish I could say that I had spent the last 20 years pouring words onto paper and practicing my craft, but in reality, a fear of failure has kept me from ever trying. So here I am at age 38, starting out on a basic level, just like a kid out of high school. My walk with Phyllis reminded me that this is OK, everyone has to start at some point and for me it might as well be now. Who knows, in 20 years I may publish my first novel!

Next Thursday, I won't dread the ring of my phone beckoning me to come outside into the cold, because the walk is not so much about physical energy, but rather, it is about mental energy received from a friend who encourages me to tread the path God has placed before me!

Have a wonderful day!