Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Waking up is hard to do!



Two distinct groups of people make their residence within my home:

Group #1: Characterized by people who, immediately upon waking, jump out of bed and come downstairs with a spring in their step to find someone to engage in some sort of relational activity, like talking, because apparently, this helps them wake up.


Group #2: Characterized by people who, in spite of the fact that their eyes are open, stay snuggled under the covers for at least 15 minutes before they drag themselves downstairs to melt into the couch. It takes a while for wakefulness to wash over this group.

Being the leader of group #2, I have a long-time habit of waking up at 6:00AM so I can read my Bible and nurse a cup of coffee, all by myself. My hubby, leader of group #1, has learned to give me time before expecting any legitimate reaction from me, besides a snarl, in the morning!

I love weekend mornings because I get to sit on the couch, after being awake for at least an hour, and watch the kids enter the living room, some looking for someone to relate to, some looking for a cave to crawl into for a little while. Aubry tends to bounce down the stairs with a smile on her face, asking, "What's for breakfast, Mommy?", while Micah can be found on the couch under his blanket, insulated from the activity surrounding him.

This reminds me that God, in His wisdom (and His sense of humor!?!) has taken seven very different people and has placed us together and called us a family. He planned for us to learn to work with each other, support each other and bear with each other. On some days this is hard, but most of the time, if I pay attention, I can find something about this group of mine that puts a smile on my face!

__________________________________

Here is the recipe for Greek Gyros (especially for Adrienne!):

Meatballs:
1 cup minced onion
4 cloves minced garlic
2 pounds ground pork
4 TB. lemon juice
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin

Saute onion and garlic in a bit of oil until onion is transparent. Add the rest of the ingredients to the onion mixture and shape into meatballs. Cook in a bit of oil until browned.

Sauce:
8 ounces plain yogurt
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

Combine all sauce ingredients and chill until ready to use.

You will need 2-3 packages of pita flat bread (they are like thick tortillas).

Spoon a few meatballs onto a warm pita bread, add some sauce and top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced cucumber and minced red onion. Enjoy, I can almost guarantee you will like these!