Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Edification


Woman and Child at the Well
-Camille Pissarro


My hubby and I were reading through a marriage book together and we came across this definition for the word "edify":

Edify: The Greek translation of this word comes from the word "Oikodomeo".
Oikos means "family, house or home"
Demo means "to build"

So "edify" carries the meaning of building a family or a home. Here are some verses that encourage us in this endeavor:

"...let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

"Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification."
-Romans 15:2

"Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies."
-I Corinthians 8:1

"...comfort each other and edify one another..."
-1 Thessalonians 5:11


I have always looked at these verses as pertaining to the body of Christ, but in the context of the family I am encouraged to strive to be a wife and mother who builds up those around me through edification. Here is a quote from our book:

"The English word "edify" goes back to a Latin word "aedes, which originally meant a hearth or fireplace. The hearth...was a place where people were drawn together, comforted, and sustained in the midst of the harsh realities of life."


I want my home to be a hearth for my family and I know that starts with the way I treat them. My words can be full of frustration and anger or they can be words of edification that encourage them and build them up.

If you are interested, I recommend Love Life as a great marriage book. My husband and I have read it a few times together (we need lots of reminders!) and it always sheds new light onto our marriage relationship.

Have a great day!