Friday, September 02, 2005

Saving money at the gas-pump


Saving money at the gas pump is becoming a necessity. Our highest price in town is hovering at $2.99, just waiting to topple over to $3.00 per gallon. Filling up my gas tank this weekend cost me $50.00, that translates to $200.00 per month since I fill up once per week. I want (need) to cut that cost in half.

I don't know enough about the specifics of the gas situation to comment on it except to say that the more gas we use, the higher the prices will be; lower consumption means lower prices.

In my effort to use less gas I need to change the way I do things. For me, carpooling, the obvious gas-saver, doesn't work because my family fills up my entire van. So I have try other things. Here are some ideas I have come up with:

-limit the days I go out during the week to two. Combine errands, appointments and fun things on these days. I will be out longer but I will save gas (and money because I won't be shopping as much!).

-stay here in town more often instead of driving 45 miles to a bigger town with better shopping.

-if I have to go out of town, take our little high-gas-mileage car, leaving a couple of kids at home.

Obviously, I can not implement these things all the time, but people are looking to the government for a solution to high gas-prices when an immediate solution to the problem is making some changes for ourselves.

Do you have any ideas for conserving gas?

Have a great weekend!