Tuesday, November 15, 2005

God's love


And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us.
-1 John 4:16-18
I believe it is important to meditate regularly on the fact that God loves me. In the past, my walk with God was rooted in negativity and I tended to focus on the fact that I was undeserving of His love. While this is true, scripture clearly states that God loves me and died for me regardless of whether or not I deserve it. He chose me. He placed His love on me. He calls me His beloved.

Focusing on the fact that God chose me has completely changed my life. My struggle with depression has lessened and I have a better attitude towards people. A consistently negative mindset towards myself led to overwhelming feelings of unworthiness and unacceptance, not only in my walk with God, but also in my relationships with people. Because I realize that God loves me, in spite of my faults, I am able to extend that grace towards others, which has, of course, strengthened my relationships.

Knowing and believing that God loves me is the key to a closer, more consistent walk with Him; a walk rooted in trust and not fear. Fear is what draws us away from life and from people while contentment and peace will free us to live life to the fullest.