Friday, December 30, 2005

Grossology: for the boys!

***If you are of the weak-stomached variety, I am warning you now: Yuckiness ahead!

On Wednesday, my bunch-o-kids and I ventured up to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science to see the Grossology exhibit. Let me say, first and foremost, this one had BOY written all over it! In fact the exhibit is described like this: "slimy, stinky, gassy, oozy, burbly, biley"!!!

First, we stopped to learn a little bit about post-nasal drip from the "faucet-guy". Did you know that the average person swallows a quart of mucous per day? Yeah, I didn't either! In fact, I have never ever considered the specifics of something such as this! My boys, however were desperate to be reminded how much is in a quart. "Four cups, boys, four cups"!

Next, we found the "toot" section of the exhibit. Did you know that the average person expels between one cup and one half-gallon of gas PER DAY? While I am highly curious about who collected this data, I am assuming it was a small gang of 4th to 6th grade boys with too much time on their hands. In fact, I think they are most likely homeschoolers with creative moms who actually found a way to give them science credit for this "experiment"!


Here is a picture of my kids standing in front of a giant nose. I am sure that my daughter is wondering what possessed me to post a picture of her standing in front of a giant nose, to which I would reply, "Honey, the only time in a girl's life when you look absolutely cute standing in front of a giant nose in when you are 17, so enjoy it!"

All in all, we had a great time and we came home with a wealth of new scientific knowledge that I am sure that my boys are itching to tell their friends! Aubry, however, found the whole thing tiring!

Have a great weekend and see you next year!