Thursday, December 29, 2005

This year in books

I am sorry to say that I have only read 29 books this year, and honestly, reviewing my list, I feel that I could have spend my reading time more productively. My total doesn't count the many books I started and didn't finish, and the three that I am reading right now. But, for a 365-day period, 29 books just seems like a disappointing number! This, however, will not stop me from sharing my favorites from the books I did read.

How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster-Along with being an enjoyable book to read, I learned a lot about being a better reader. Paying attention to clues in a book, such as blindness or weather, helped me to find hidden meaning that enhanced the depth of the books I did read. I am going to read it again in January. (This book was originally a recommendation from Mental Multivitamin.)

Bird by Bird and Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott-Each book is a beautifully written collection of essays. Ms. Lamott has a talent for uncovering incredible meaning in everyday circumstances. When I grow up, I want to write like Anne Lamott!

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens-Honestly, this was my first complete reading of a Dicken's book and I loved it! He is a talented creator of realistic (and somewhat strange) characters and his insights into the human condition provided lots to ponder and identify with. I plan on reading more by Mr. Dickens in the next year.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd-This was an excellent story full of challenge and hope. Every young girl should have a woman like August in her life so she can find encouragement, kindness and love!

Well, that is it. Out of my disappointing 29 books, there have been some gems. Next year, my goal is to read 40 books, although I don't want to sacrifice quality for quantity. I would rather read a few books that teach me something than a huge pile of fluff, although I will admit that a little bit of fluff makes life fun!

Do you have any favorites titles to share from this year's reading?