Friday, January 13, 2006

Would anyone like to quilt along with me?

I am thinking of hosting a quilting class on my blog and I am wondering if anyone would be interested in participating. What prompted me to start thinking about this is whenever I post a quilt, a few people mention they would love to try quilting but they are not sure how.

My idea is this: We will be making a wall hanging-sized pinwheel quilt (a drawing of the pattern is posted below) over a month's time. The quilt only looks difficult, it is actually very easy. It uses a piecing technique called "speedy triangles".

Every Monday, I will post a new set of directions (with lots of pictures and clear instructions) and you will attempt to cut and sew your quilt at home and I will be available to answer your questions and help you along throughout the month.

This class will be open to anyone who likes to quilt or who wants to learn. The only requirement is that you should have some basic knowledge of your sewing machine and you need to be able to sew a straight line.

I will be making up a complete list of supplies to post soon and I will provide some tips on picking fabric colors. I am not sure about a price estimate yet, but the fabric and batting should be less than $25.00 unless you buy the more expensive quilting fabrics. The added expense of a cutting mat, quilting ruler and rotary cutter could be about $25.00, but I would suggest that you ask a crafty friend to borrow her cutting implements if money is an issue.

If you are interested, please leave a comment with your name and an email address if you have one. (I will keep your email address private--I will be using it for any special instructions and for answering your questions). If you feel nervous about this, please jump in and try it! I will do all that I can to guide you through this fun process. And just think, the next time you need a baby shower gift, you can make it yourself!

In a few days, I will be getting back with everyone who wants to do this. I will post the fabric measurements and color ideas on Wednesday, January 18 and the first class will be posted on Monday, January 23.

I am looking forward to this!