Thursday, March 16, 2006

Life is good...

Sometimes life has a way of making me feel tired. This whole month has been that way. My house is a wreck because hubby is remodeling and since hubby is working hard to finish the job, it is as if I never see him, homeschooling has been a struggle, I feel too busy, etc., etc., etc. For me this is where the rubber meets the road, as they say. In spite of the fact that I have been on the verge of tears the last couple of days, I need to make a choice about what perspective to take, it is always up to me to decide what to meditate on.

I took this picture the other day:

Not much, is it? Basically it just shows a messy corner of our house that I would rather not have you see, but if I change my perspective a little bit, a few feet, in fact, this is what I see:

Not bad! When I avert my gaze and quit obssessing about all that is wrong with my life I become aware of some pretty cool things, like these:

--waking up this AM to find my daughter making waffles for everyone
--honey-lemon tea
--an organized craft area
--pink shoes
--angel hair pasta with pesto sauce
--reading "The Poisonwood Bible"--did you know it is even better the second time around?
--green walls in a sunny room
--beautiful fabric
--my Scott Stapp CD
--a 9-year old who tells me that I am the coolest mom around
--hugs from my hubby while he asks me to hang in there just a little longer
--My God who loves me always, no matter what

I could go on but I think that you have the idea. Gazing at the good stuff doesn't entail avoiding life's realities, it just takes a willingness to look beyond those things that threaten to overcome. Yes, I can conclude that life is good. All it takes is a pair of creative eyes--eyes that God supplies for times such as these:
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.

--Philippians 4:8

What is good in your life today?