Monday, April 03, 2006

Crunchy Cons

We have a small but wonderful library in our town. Friendly librarians who know us by name are always more than willing to purchase the books we request if the library doesn't have them. I love it!

My most resent request is this book:

Crunchy Cons by Ron Dreher

Initially, I thought this would be a political book. What I have discovered is more of a "lifestyle" book. It is written by a conservative, Catholic, homeschool-dad who wears Birkenstocks and buys organic produce. Obviously, he a man who defies a stereo-type.

I am not quite done with the book, but the main theme seems to be getting back to living in such a way that we invest our time and energy in the things we value. Rather than seeking worth through acquiring material goods or seeking power, our valuable minutes and hours are better spent in molding the character of our children, getting back to nature and valuing creativity, among others things.

"...If you view your immediate environment and the processes you're involved in as intrinsically worthwhile, as intrinsically satisfying, then you have arrived. You don't have this need to run off to the next thing, because the reward is always with you. That's the ultimate efficiency: the thing you're doing is its own reward. The thing you're savoring is there for its own sake."

While I don't agree with every idea set forth in the book, I can say that it has made me think about the way I live my life. Am I daily committed to doing the important things and finding my fulfillment in them? Or am I spinning my wheels, going nowhere, always expecting peace to come another day? I suppose that, honestly, my life is a mixture of both, but this book has bolstered my desire to live out the things I believe in and know to be true.

I didn't expect to be refreshed in such when I started reading this book, but I am blessed to say that I have been. If you are looking for a thought-provoking and inspiring book to read, this one might be for you!