Monday, June 05, 2006

Blogging about blogging

**This post is a part of Carol's "7 Days of Blog"!
Three years ago I received a camera as a Mother's Day gift. I used it occasionally to take pictures of my kids, but generally it sat on the shelf. Then I started blogging.

When I first discovered blogs, my favorites were the ones with lots of pictures. I suppose this comes from years of magazine reading or possibly from a short attention span, but either way, I took my camera off the shelf when I started a blog of my own. Then I started taking pictures of almost anything, anywhere, at any time.

I find that bloggers take pictures of the craziest things. I have seen pictures of people's toes, their groceries, their dirty bathrooms and their snoozing husbands. Even I have taken pictures of my laundry, dinners I have made, a new pair of shoes and I have even taken pictures of pictures, simply because I didn't know how to use the scanner until recently. And you can be sure that if I post a picture of, say, a homemade loaf of bread, there are about 10 other pictures of that same loaf, all taken from different angles and distances.

I suppose you could say that I have a unique record of my family's life now, all because of blogging. Who knows, in 20 years the picture of the food we served at my daughter's graduation party may seem special. And looking at pictures of new fabric that I bought may bring back special memories of crafting way back when.

I do know that my camera-addiction is going to last longer than this blog, and I like that I have learned that sometimes it is the smaller things in life that are worth remembering.

I am going to leave you with a picture, of course. A picture of my new shoes. They are the color of a Hershey's chocolate bar:

Happy blogging and picture-taking!