Thursday, July 06, 2006

My most recent read for the Summer Reading Challenge is Night by Elie Wiesel. This book is amazing in its simple account of the author's experience in Nazi concentration camps during World War II. Mr. Wiesel tells his story in a disconcerting matter-of-fact tone that leaves the reader with the responsibility of taking the story in and making sense of it. I found myself squirming in my chair and a few times I had to put the book down to gather myself before moving on. The book is short but I consider it a very important book to read and it now ranks among my favorites. Highly recommended!

Books read for the Summer Reading Challenge:

1. Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler
2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
4. Night by Elie Wiesel

"I now took little interest in anything except my daily bread. Bread, soup--these were my whole life. I was a body. Perhaps less than that even: a starved stomach. The stomach alone was aware of the passage of time."
My goal is 12 books so I have 8 more to go by August 31!