Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Childish dreams


Kate posted a picture of a neat old car on her blog and it reminded me that when I was a teenager in the 1980's, growing up in Southern California, this was my dream car. Yes, a Nash Metropolitan was exactly what I thought I needed in order to be the perfect picture of coolness. And by the way, if I had had one, it would have been pink and white! In my imagination I saw my friends and I driving around town looking rather clever in this tiny car, but now I realize we would have looked like, well, clowns! In reality, I drove a light blue Volkswagen Squareback and I felt like quite the surfer girl when cruising around the beach cities, in spite of the fact that the steering wheel shook like a washing machine with an unbalanced load, at any speed above 45MPH!

It's funny (sad?) how the wisdom of age casts a shadow over teenage dreams and makes them look silly!