Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Power Cords and Summer Reading Programs

Last night I was using my laptop to download some pictures from my camera when I heard an unusual sizzling sound. I started searching around and then finally discovered that the sound was coming from the power cord on my computer. Now, I knew that a sizzling sound coming from a power cord was a bad thing so I turned it off immediately and unplugged the cord so my hubby could take a look at it. Being the helpful gal that I am, I suggested that he wrap the sizzling area with duct tape so that I could get back to the computer ASAP but he seemed to feel this was a bad idea. I could swear that he had a smirk on his face when I suggested it! Well, he firmly suggested buying a new cord so I quickly went downstairs and got on our other computer and started searching for a place to purchase computer parts.

Well, let me tell you that finding computer parts is not the easiest thing in the world because there are tons of them! Too many kinds of computers and too many parts and too many websites that sell them! I finally narrowed down my choice and proceeded to the checkout only to find out--at the end of the checkout process--that the company only offers 1-2 day shipping at a price of $15.95. I seriously considered starting over again and ordering from somewhere else because I never pay extra for quick shipping, it is just beyond my thrifty tendencies to do so. But I also realized that I could look at the $15.95 as a small price to pay for not having to spend any more time searching the internet for computer parts. So my power cord will arrive Thursday or Friday. Ah, the joys of the internet!
_____________________________________

Books read for the Summer Reading Challenge:

1. Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler
2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
4. Night by Elie Wiesel
5. Housekeeping by Marilyn Robinson
6. Missing Mom by Joyce Carol Oates

"Last time you see someone and you don't know it will be the last time. And all that you know now, if only you'd known then. But you didn't know and now it is too late. And you tell yourself How could I have known, I could not have known. You tell yourself.

This is the story of missing my mother. One day, in a way unique to you, it will be your story too."

--I loved this book!
My goal is 12 books so I have 6 more to go by August 31! I am not quite sure if I am going to make my goal, but I will keep on keepin' on!