Thursday, October 05, 2006

The New Science Teacher

Throughout my years of homeschooling, the subject I have disliked teaching the most has been science. Once I get past the most basic of experiments, like using baking soda and vinegar to blow up a balloon, I am stumped as to what to do with the kids. I have always felt inept at teaching it and getting my kids excited about it.

This school-year we have hit upon a perfect solution: my daughter, the science-nut (I guess I did get through to one of the kids!), is teaching biology to my boys and they are loving it! Almost everyday they ask Danika when their next biology class will be. (Funny how they never asked me when the next science class was!?!)

One of the biggest bonuses (for me) is that she LOVES to dissect things, and she doesn't mind if I steer clear of the kitchen while she does it. In high school I somehow avoided this and I have tried hard to avoid it as a homeschool mom too. I have been lucky to co-op with women who love to dissect cow eyeballs and crayfish, and now I get to pass that baton to Danika! Yippee!

Needless to say, I am lovin' the new science teacher!