Thursday, November 16, 2006

My Quiet Time

Daily I find myself getting caught up in the small things of life and I tend to forget the big picture. Meals, lessons, housecleaning, etc., all demand my attention and they don't respond to my pleas to leave me alone, in spite of the fact that I have more important things to do. So easily I lose sight of what really matters and I find myself slogging through the tedium of everyday and missing my opportunity to invest in the hearts of the people surrounding me.

"Keep on hearing, but do not understand;
Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.
Make the heart of this people dull,
And their ears heavy,
And shut their eyes..."
These verses remind me that I need God's help to keep my heart perceptive to what is surrounding me and how to respond to it. Life is not supposed to be a gigantic to-do list that never ends, but often that is exactly what I make it into.

The image in my mind of close relationships with my hubby and kids, extended family and friends, all requires perception on my part, an ability to see and understand with my heart and a willingness to discard the call of the immediate and to hear the voice of what matters most.

Only with God's help...
"Lest they see with their eyes,
And hear with their ears,
And understand with their heart,
And return and be healed."
***The verses are found in Isaiah 6:9-10
_________________________________________
Today I am thankful for cold medicine and doctors! My dear hubby's cold finally caught up to him and he is staying home from work today. He is honestly such a cute whiner when he is sick and it makes me smile (laugh) to take care of him. The rest of us will be drinking echinachea tea for the next few days and crossing our fingers that this doesn't spread!
_________________________________________
Tonia has a lovely post here about ministry. You will be encouraged!