Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Valance Tutorial

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Valances are an inexpensive and easy way to cover a window and add color to a room. I made some for my craft room and, including the curtain rod, they only cost me $12.00 and an evening of time to make.

****Please read through the entire tutorial before deciding that this is too confusing! I think it will make more sense at the end! ;)

My first step was to measure the width of my window. The fabric needs to be approximately 2 to 2-1/2 times the width of the window, depending on how much gathering you would like at the top. I used 2-1/2 times the width measurement of my window.

The length of your valance will depend on the size of your window and your preferences. My window is large so I wanted my valance to be approximately 15 inches long from top to bottom. I add approximately 3 inches to this measurement for the top and bottom hem and the casing, equalling 18 inches for length.

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing! Basically, you want to cut your fabric 18 inches X 2 to 2-1/2 times the width measurement of your window. You will end up with a long skinny piece of fabric that looks like this:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(You will probably have to sew 2 or three long strips together to acheive your desired width.)

Now, sew a 1/2 inch hem on three sides of your valance, leaving the 4th long side raw. On the fourth side, iron your fabric under 1/4 inch and then fold it over 2-1/2 inches and sew your seam:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Now for the casing. Measure 1-1/4 inches up from the hem you just sewed and now sew the casing seam (the blue pins are stuck where you should sew your seams):
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Viola, you are all done!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
All you need to do now is put it on your curtain rod and hang it above your window!