Thursday, January 06, 2005

Girl talk

Women. I love being one and I love having them for friends. But I have come to a place in my life where I am tired of gossipy-girl-talk. Being creatures who love close connection with others, women tend to rush into conversation seeking closeness rather than substance. This leads to an over-abundance of discussions about our kids, husbands, decorating and new recipes. Bad topics? No. But too often talk turns negative and nit-picky, not searching for solutions but, rather, a consistent uncovering of problems. From personal experience I know that this only breeds discontent.

Over the past couple of years I have searched for a deeper level of friendship. Not from airing all of my dirty laundry with someone and hoping that they still like me afterwards, but a level of closeness that comes from sharing ideas, challenging each other's thinking and acceptancing differences in belief. Basically, something a little more philosophical. So far, I find myself getting a lot of blank stares from other women. No comment. Just a change of subject to something easier, something requiring less thought.

I remain hopeful and steadfast in my pursuit. But for now, the great conversation takes place only in my head, where, I have to say, it is a little one-sided.