Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Odd College Courses

Click here to check out a list of the "Top Ten Odd College Courses." My first reaction to most of these are, "You have got to be kidding!" My second reaction is, "People pay money for this stuff?"

My favorite is "Daytime Serials: Family and Social Roles." Basically, this course offered at the University of Wisconsin, is an in-depth analysis of soap-operas! Hmm, I am not sure that this class will be useful for any future career, although I do suppose it could be a catalyst for future soap-opera discussion groups. I am thinking that this is the solution for people who just can't cope with reading a whole book but would like to analyze things like plot, theme and structure!

Another one worth checking out is the "Art of Walking" at Centre College, where students not only read literature by "noted perambulators like Kant and Nietzsche" but they also partake in the educational experience of making tracks with the professor and his doggie!

All I can say is: Only in America!