Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Confessions, a game of tag and a question!


My current read is Confessions by Saint Augustine and after only one chapter I can tell I am reading the words of a man who analyzes everything, from every angle. Not only does he dissect society and individuals, he also reaches inward to find his own inadequacy and hidden motives. He concludes the first chapter by revealing this:

"My sin consisted in this, that I sought pleasure, sublimity, and truth not in God but in his creatures, in myself and other created beings. So it was that I plunged into miseries, confusions, and errors. My God, I give thanks to You, my source of sweet delight, and my glory and my confidence."

I am aware that my main problem in life is my inability to stay completely focused on God. The moment my eyes drift away from Him, "miseries, confusions, and errors" make their way into my life. My need to refocus in constant in the midst of life's clamor and motion. But this book reminds me that this is the common human struggle: the pull towards filling ourselves with things and people, and not God.

I am looking forward to gleaning truth from what Saint Augustine finds on his journey towards God!
________________________________________

I have been "tagged" by Sparrow to answer a few questions.

Here's the scoop on how to play: I pick 5 occupations out of the list below and post my answers. Then I tag 3 other people to post their answers on their blog. If I tag you, and you don't want to be a part of this, then that is okay. Just let me know and I'll tag someone else.

The "questions": If I could be a scientist...If I could be a farmer...If I could be a musician...If I could be a doctor...If I could be a painter...If I could be a gardener...If I could be a missionary...If I could be a chef...If I could be an architect...If I could be a linguist...If I could be a psychologist...If I could be a librarian...If I could be an athlete...If I could be a lawyer...If I could be an inn-keeper...If I could be a professor...If I could be a writer...If I could be a llama-rider...If I could be a bonnie pirate...If I could be an astronaut...If I could be a world famous blogger...If I could be a justice on any one court in the world...If I could be married to any current famous political figure...

Here are my answers:

If I could be a writer... I would live in a cabin in the woods and write at my desk that sits next to a window overlooking a pond. I would rise early and write all morning long and then spend the rest of the afternoon hiking, fishing and exploring with my hubby. I would write novels and short, funny articles about life as a homeschooling, stay-at-home mom.

If I could be a musician...I would play the cello in an orchestra! It's deep, mysterious sound always makes me want to be still and ponder life. I think I would take a unique stage-name like Yo-Yo-Mommy!

If I could be an athlete...I would play hockey! My inability to stay upright on ice, combined with my aversion to broken fingernails would be obstacles to overcome...but I would do it! Hockey is the most active, manly game there is and I would love to be the first female pro-player. Plus, I could have one of those cool French-sounding Canadian last names, like most hockey players have!

If I could be a missionary...I would want to be like Amy Carmichael, a single woman who spent her whole life in India being an "adopted" mother to hundreds of needy children.

If I could be a librarian...I would be in heaven! Surrounded by books all day long! My favorite part of the job would be pouring over catalogs and ordering hundreds of books for the shelves! (This is my favorite part of homeschooling, too!)

If you want to join this game of tag, leave a note. For now, I tag, Pam, Jasmine and Kim. Enjoy yourselves, ladies!

_____________________________________
And this question for Blogger/Picasa/Hello users:

How do you upload two or more pictures onto one post? I know there is a simple way to do it, I just can't figure it out!!!