Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Butternut Farms by Charles Wysocki

"Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever. ...For He satisfies the longing soul, And fills the hungry soul with goodness."
-Psalm 107:1 & 9

I have found that being thankful is a state of mind and when I start feeling down, I purpose in my mind to find things to be thankful for. Sometimes I have to start small, like maybe I am glad that my laundry is done, and I find that if I pay attention, my list just keeps getting longer!

The holidays are a difficult time for many people and I hope that if they are for you, you will remember that God is faithful, in spite of the circumstances in your life. If you reach for Him, even the tiniest bit, He will come running to you. This is His promise. You can trust in it!

I will be taking the rest of the week off from blogging and I wanted to wish all of you a happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the time with your family and friends and have fun getting a start on gaining those unwanted holiday pounds!

Here is a recipe for turkey soup that my family LOVES! You use the turkey bones to make the best soup broth you will ever taste---believe me---you need to try it!

Turkey Frame Soup

1 turkey frame
5 quarts water
1 onion, quartered
4 teaspoons salt
3 tomatoes, quartered
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
8 cups fresh vegatables (I use mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, onions and green peppers, but you can use whatever your family likes!)
3 cups uncooked homemade (or frozen) noodles

Place turkey frame in a large pot with water, onion and salt. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove turkey frame; cool till it can be handled. Remove meat from the bones; discard bones. Remove onion from broth. Add turkey meat, tomatoes, thyme, and oregano to broth. Stir in fresh vegatables. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add uncoooked noodles; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. You can thicken the soup using a mixture of flour and water, if you like. Makes 12 (or more) servings.
________________________________________
Just for fun: Every family has tried-and-true foods that they serve each and every year without fail. Some are good, some are bad and some are kind of embarrasing! My "I-can't-believe-I-am-telling-you-we-eat-this" foods are Jello salad with strawberries, pineapple and cream cheese, and cranberry sauce---the one that pops out in the shape of the can---I love it! In spite of the fact that I love to eat these, I would never take them to someone elses house and I don't think we will see them featured in "Martha Stewart-Living" any time soon! Do you have any embarrasing foods that your family loves? Please share! Pleasssssssssse! I promise I won't tell anyone!

Have a happy Thanksgiving weekend!