Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Update on "30 Days of Nothing"

Well, for me it is more like "30 Days of No Walmart"! (I feel a little weird saying "nothing" since other people are literally buying nothing beyond the necessities.)

So far, so good for us. I honestly LOVE not shopping at Walmart. In shopping other stores around town, I have discovered that I can find the same things for the same or better prices, and I don't have to stand in long lines and squeeze through crowds of people just to grab a loaf of bread. Since we live in a small town, Walmart is the only store in town with one-stop-shopping, but I spend the same amount of time shopping at two stores as I did doing mega-shopping at WallyWorld.

Our biggest change has been "using what we have". The first thing I did was clean out our big freezer and, to my surprise, we have over 50 pounds of meat in it. This is a little embarrasing because the reason I have so much is that I buy things without knowing if we really need it. Now I have a list of what is available and meals are planned around that.

My second area where I am "using what I have" is fabric. Up until about 9 months ago, I didn't have any fabric because I had previously given up on crafting about 5 years ago and I had tossed my stash. Well, it has only taken me a few months to fill 4 drawers and two suitcases full of fabric. What can I say? I love the stuff: the feel, the color, the print, the way it mixes and matches. Even without buying new items, I have plenty to keep me busy for a few months (or more!). My new goal is to buy only when I have a specific project in mind; other than that the fabric stays in the store! I will spend more money on gasoline and shipping costs, but I will save in the long run.

Well, there you have it. Our "30 days of No Walmart" fits me just fine. I know that God had been nudging me to make some of these changes for a while so my heart was ready to move into them. Honestly, it is not about the money or even spending, it is about a heart that is content in God and not clamouring for more, more, more.

"You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
--Psalm 16:11