Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Supply list

**The links to the quilt lessons are at the bottom of this post.

Hello! Here is the list of supplies you will need to make the Pinwheel Quilt (please see the bottom of this post for the basic supplies you will need):
-All fabrics are at least 45" wide

--1-1/2 yards background fabric (I am using white)

--2 yards of pinwheel fabric You may use one or more different fabrics. I bought eight 1/4-yard pieces. (Don't buy anything smaller than 1/4 yard pieces for the pinwheels)

--1/2 yard of fabric for the border (I used four different pieces of my pinwheels fabrics and I was able to use scraps, but my quilt also has a "playful" look. If you want a more classic or traditional look, buy an extra piece)

--1/2 yard of fabric for the binding (I bought an extra piece of one of my pinwheel fabrics)

--1-1/2 yards of fabric for the quilt back (I am using the same white fabric that I am using on the front of the quilt)

--Crib-sized batting--approximately 45"X45" (I bought mine by the yard but you can buy it pre-packaged and cut). This should cost about $5.00.

I purchased my supplies for $27.66. Pay attention to the price of the fabrics you are buying because the price can get very high, very quickly. Here are my fabrics:

When it comes to selecting fabrics for your quilt, the #1 rule is this: Pick what you like! If you love a color combination that doesn't mesh with the rules of color theory, just forget the rules.

The best thing to do is to start with a color scheme or a particular fabric that you like and build on that look. As you select bolts of fabric, stack them on top of each other and them step back to see if you like how they look together. Usually it will be obvious if one doesn't belong or that you need to add more of a particular color.

Try to select fabrics of varying patterns--florals, stripes, dots--and stay within the same color value. This will help to produce an eye-pleasing quilt.

If you have any questions, please let me know how I can help! If you have a blog, you could take a picture of your fabrics and post it. I would like to see what you choose!

(By the way, the first set of instructions will be posted next Monday.)

Have fun at the fabric store!
_____________________________________
I am assuming that everyone has the following:
--sewing machine
--scissors
--basic sewing notions (like pins, seam ripper, etc.)
--rotary cutter
--quilting ruler and mat

Quilt Lesson #1
Quilt Lesson #2
Quilt Lesson #3
Quilt Lesson #4